Sure, March Madness Brings an Admissions Bump — If You’re a Big Name DI University
By: Laura Sheehan
For the Rest, Maximize Digital Recruitment with 6 Tips on Hiring a Digital Enrollment Firm
I wonder what it’s like in the Villanova admissions office these days. I always imagined that working enrollment at a Division I school — especially after an NCAA victory — would be a piece of cake: you know, opening envelope after envelope, plucking the best candidates, nothing but abundance!
I’m sure it’s not that simple, but the truth is, these colleges and universities do experience a healthy admissions bump after winning a national title. My own alma mater, University of Connecticut, experienced a 27% increase in applications after their 2014 March Madness victory.
No doubt, the increased volume brings in its own host of problems, but for the majority of enrollment professionals, recruitment remains a tactical endeavor. To be truly competitive, an institution needs a sound marketing strategy — one that responds to how today’s students look for, and at, institutions. Of course, it must include digital.
While we know that students search and assess colleges online, most mid- to small-size institutions lack the resources to implement an effective digital strategy. It takes time and expertise — constant expertise, because digital capacities change overnight.
What’s an understaffed, under budgeted enrollment office to do? Most likely, hire an outside firm to run a digital campaign.
Personally, I’ve lived both sides of this: as an administrator and a service provider. I remember hearing results and feeling like they were speaking in a foreign language: CPC, impressions, reach!
So how can you navigate this constantly evolving field to ensure effectiveness? When interviewing a potential firm, insist on the elements listed in 6 Tips to Guide Your Decision when Hiring a Digital Marketing Firm. It will guarantee the firm creates a campaign specific to your institution that focuses on the end result: enrolled students.
We can’t be experts in everything, but we can be strategic consumers that hire smart, hard working firms.
Tell Us What You Think
SEARCH THE BLOG
- Finding a “Pocket of Potential” in Summer Enrollment
- How Small & Specific Digital Enrollment Campaigns Yield Timely Results
- Decision Day and Beyond: How Digital Marketing Can Reach Prospects at Critical Points in the Enrollment Cycle
- An Enrollment Management Strategy to Offset the Federal Overtime Rule
- Community Colleges Offer Strong & Specific Value: Tell It & Sell It through Success Stories
- Inbound Inquiries are High Yielding Inquiries
- Is a High Bounce Rate Really Such a Bad Thing?
- Student Satisfaction and the Bottom Line
- Getting a Handle on Your University or College’s Social Media Strategy
- The Value of Content in a Higher Education Website
- Digital Advertising for Colleges and Universities: Don’t be Impressed by Impressions
- Enrollment-Driven Higher Ed Websites: A Recruitment Solution
- The Power of the Human Story: In Enrollment Campaigns & In Life
- Recruiting Adult Learners on Their Terms
- Community College Recruitment: Breaking old Stereotypes via Student Success Stories
- Part III: How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- Part II: How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- The 2016 Internet Trends Report: 4 Takeaways for Higher Ed Recruitment
- What Can Other Colleges Learn from Recent Closures? Staying Current in an Ever-Changing World
- From Enrollment Professional to Parent: My New Insights into the College Search Process
- Does your Higher Ed Website Work For or Against Enrollment? Three Tips to Assess its Recruitment Effectiveness
- Step Up Summer Enrollment: How a Digital Campaign Can Stem Summer Melt & Inspire New Applications
- Looking to Recruit Adult Students? Good News: They’re Telling Us How
- What Can Community Colleges do to Counteract Declining Enrollment? Turns Out Your Institutional Stories are your Best Ammunition
- 5 Tips to Celebrating — and Selling — the Value of the Humanities
- Recruiting a Shifting Demographic: Today’s Minority is Tomorrow’s Majority
- Sure, March Madness Brings an Admissions Bump — If You’re a Big Name DI University
- Higher Ed Recruitment: Can We Help Ease Students’ Stress?
- Countering the Decline: How to Sell Small Liberal Arts Colleges to Gen Z
- Put your Recruitment Eggs in the Basket-of-High-Returns
- Calculate’s Web Recruitment Strategy Recognized at Global Marketing Forum
- Digital Search: A New Way of Finding Right-Fit Students
- 6 Tips to Guide your Decision when Hiring a Digital Marketing Firm
- Content is the Driving Force Behind a Successful Higher Ed Website
- Your Website Isn’t a Project. It’s a Perpetual Work in Progress.
What We DO
42 Ridgeway Street
Newington, CT 06111
©2020 Calculate, LLC. Calculate does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, veteran status or any other legally protected basis in its employment and business practices.