Digital Search: A New Way of Finding Right-Fit Students
By: Laura Sheehan
Paying for Names?
Like most enrollment management professionals, we used to spend a significant portion of our budget on student search — purchasing names and services through one of the big firms. It was a critical buy: these names were the focus of all our enrollment efforts.
But how good of an investment was it? How many students from these lists actually applied, deposited, and enrolled? Turns out, not many at all: paid search yielded very little (less than 1%).
Finding Right-Fit Students
So we started to look at search differently. How could we reach prospective students — not any and all, but the ones who would fit the culture and programs of a particular institution? Our goal was to attract right-fit students, rather than pursue them. A carefully developed digital search campaign allowed us to do just that. Our first digital search was centered on 4 specific academic majors and each one successfully reached enrollment capacity.
What is Digital Search?
Digital search is the most effective way of generating a pool of highly-interested prospective students — those who fit your institution’s academic and cultural profile. Rather than casting a wide net and pursuing 50,000 names on a list, we apply inbound marketing strategies to reach students whose interests match specific programs or shared themes (e.g., the helping professions, STEM careers, etc.).
We research, write, and design ads that are promoted on various digital platforms. The ads lead to a landing page with a specific conversion opportunity. Once converted, the prospect moves into the admissions funnel.
Why it Works
- Research: We do extensive research on the institution, each academic program in the campaign, and student demographics.
- Testimonials: The ads and landing pages incorporate the words of current students and successful alumni; this shows authentic success
- Targeting: We target according to student behaviors, interests, activities, as well as demographics.
- Ad creation and monitoring: No 2 ads are the same – we create 6 unique ads per program and constantly monitor and adjust to maximum success.
In a nutshell: digital search is about attracting — rather than pursuing — right-fit students. It takes detailed time & attention, but that’s what we do.
Tell Us What You Think
SEARCH THE BLOG
- Your School’s Distinctive Success Story: Why & How to Market It
- Inspiring Students throughout the Recruitment Process
- Part 2: Students Say Your Website Can Make or Break Their Enrollment Decision
- Part 1: Students Say Your Website Can Make or Break Their Enrollment Decision
- The #1 Thing You Can Do for Enrollment
- Finding a “Pocket of Potential” in Summer Enrollment
- How Small & Specific Digital Enrollment Campaigns Yield Timely Results
- Decision Day and Beyond: How Digital Marketing Can Reach Prospects at Critical Points in the Enrollment Cycle
- An Enrollment Management Strategy to Offset the Federal Overtime Rule
- Community Colleges Offer Strong & Specific Value: Tell It & Sell It through Success Stories
- Inbound Inquiries are High Yielding Inquiries
- Is a High Bounce Rate Really Such a Bad Thing?
- Student Satisfaction and the Bottom Line
- Getting a Handle on Your University or College’s Social Media Strategy
- The Value of Content in a Higher Education Website
- Digital Advertising for Colleges and Universities: Don’t be Impressed by Impressions
- Enrollment-Driven Higher Ed Websites: A Recruitment Solution
- The Power of the Human Story: In Enrollment Campaigns & In Life
- Recruiting Adult Learners on Their Terms
- Community College Recruitment: Breaking old Stereotypes via Student Success Stories
- Part III: How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- Part II: How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- The 2016 Internet Trends Report: 4 Takeaways for Higher Ed Recruitment
- What Can Other Colleges Learn from Recent Closures? Staying Current in an Ever-Changing World
- From Enrollment Professional to Parent: My New Insights into the College Search Process
- Does your Higher Ed Website Work For or Against Enrollment? Three Tips to Assess its Recruitment Effectiveness
- Step Up Summer Enrollment: How a Digital Campaign Can Stem Summer Melt & Inspire New Applications
- Looking to Recruit Adult Students? Good News: They’re Telling Us How
- What Can Community Colleges do to Counteract Declining Enrollment? Turns Out Your Institutional Stories are your Best Ammunition
- 5 Tips to Celebrating — and Selling — the Value of the Humanities
- Recruiting a Shifting Demographic: Today’s Minority is Tomorrow’s Majority
- Sure, March Madness Brings an Admissions Bump — If You’re a Big Name DI University
- Higher Ed Recruitment: Can We Help Ease Students’ Stress?
- Countering the Decline: How to Sell Small Liberal Arts Colleges to Gen Z
- Put your Recruitment Eggs in the Basket-of-High-Returns
- Calculate’s Web Recruitment Strategy Recognized at Global Marketing Forum
- Digital Search: A New Way of Finding Right-Fit Students
- 6 Tips to Guide your Decision when Hiring a Digital Marketing Firm
- Content is the Driving Force Behind a Successful Higher Ed Website
- Your Website Isn’t a Project. It’s a Perpetual Work in Progress.
What We DO
42 Ridgeway Street
Newington, CT 06111
©2021 Calculate, LLC. Calculate does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, veteran status or any other legally protected basis in its employment and business practices.