The Power of the Human Story: In Enrollment Campaigns & In Life
By: Laura Sheehan
Over the past month, I’ve interviewed 20 or so students for different projects on different campuses. The goal of each interview was the same — to get them talking so I can hear their story: where they came from, why they came to this particular college, and how they’ve changed since. What I’ve heard recently reminded me (once again) of the innate power of the human story — in life and in marketing.
Here’s one: a student came to a remote campus from more than halfway across the country. When I asked why, he told me how his parents were deported when he was finishing high school, wrenched from his life and sent back to their home country. As a U.S. citizen, he was allowed to stay — alone. A friend’s family took him in and he enrolled in a college close to home. He struggled, though, and soon dropped out. “I didn’t know what to do or how to move forward,” he said.
Then a friend mentioned this college. It was so far from everything he knew, but it offered him the opportunity to play the sport he loved: “I decided I had to try it. I knew it would be hard and I’d be homesick, but I made my decision and came to campus without even seeing it first.”
Of course, it has a happy ending: shocking as his arrival was, he found a home on campus. “This is my family, my community,” he said. “I’ll learn everything I can here to build a life and help other people. I want to be a lawyer and fight for people who are disenfranchised.”
So here’s this young man, more or less alone in the world, who pushed through the fear and loneliness, forged a life, and is inspired to help others. That’s a great story — one that speaks on the strengths of that particular college and one that can motivate others to check it out.
In enrollment marketing these micro-stories offer great content — as short narratives, testimonials, videos, even headlines for story-telling photos. Research shows that prospective students want to hear from current students — their experiences, their impressions, their life stories.
I saw this again when reviewing our first round of stats for a digital campaign: the story-telling ads were 80% more effective than the other ads (measured by click through rates). It was enough to remind me of the power of stories — and to make them a focal point in every campaign.
Tell Us What You Think
SEARCH THE BLOG
- Finding a “Pocket of Potential” in Summer Enrollment
- How Small & Specific Digital Enrollment Campaigns Yield Timely Results
- Decision Day and Beyond: How Digital Marketing Can Reach Prospects at Critical Points in the Enrollment Cycle
- An Enrollment Management Strategy to Offset the Federal Overtime Rule
- Community Colleges Offer Strong & Specific Value: Tell It & Sell It through Success Stories
- Inbound Inquiries are High Yielding Inquiries
- Is a High Bounce Rate Really Such a Bad Thing?
- Student Satisfaction and the Bottom Line
- Getting a Handle on Your University or College’s Social Media Strategy
- The Value of Content in a Higher Education Website
- Digital Advertising for Colleges and Universities: Don’t be Impressed by Impressions
- Enrollment-Driven Higher Ed Websites: A Recruitment Solution
- The Power of the Human Story: In Enrollment Campaigns & In Life
- Recruiting Adult Learners on Their Terms
- Community College Recruitment: Breaking old Stereotypes via Student Success Stories
- Part III: How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- Part II: How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- How an Enrollment-driven Website Can Serve Higher Ed Recruitment
- The 2016 Internet Trends Report: 4 Takeaways for Higher Ed Recruitment
- What Can Other Colleges Learn from Recent Closures? Staying Current in an Ever-Changing World
- From Enrollment Professional to Parent: My New Insights into the College Search Process
- Does your Higher Ed Website Work For or Against Enrollment? Three Tips to Assess its Recruitment Effectiveness
- Step Up Summer Enrollment: How a Digital Campaign Can Stem Summer Melt & Inspire New Applications
- Looking to Recruit Adult Students? Good News: They’re Telling Us How
- What Can Community Colleges do to Counteract Declining Enrollment? Turns Out Your Institutional Stories are your Best Ammunition
- 5 Tips to Celebrating — and Selling — the Value of the Humanities
- Recruiting a Shifting Demographic: Today’s Minority is Tomorrow’s Majority
- Sure, March Madness Brings an Admissions Bump — If You’re a Big Name DI University
- Higher Ed Recruitment: Can We Help Ease Students’ Stress?
- Countering the Decline: How to Sell Small Liberal Arts Colleges to Gen Z
- Put your Recruitment Eggs in the Basket-of-High-Returns
- Calculate’s Web Recruitment Strategy Recognized at Global Marketing Forum
- Digital Search: A New Way of Finding Right-Fit Students
- 6 Tips to Guide your Decision when Hiring a Digital Marketing Firm
- Content is the Driving Force Behind a Successful Higher Ed Website
- Your Website Isn’t a Project. It’s a Perpetual Work in Progress.
What We DO
42 Ridgeway Street
Newington, CT 06111
©2020 Calculate, LLC. Calculate does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, veteran status or any other legally protected basis in its employment and business practices.